SMTP address verification

I have finally upgraded to the latest zmailer available for anonymous FTP
and read the documentation carefully, but I seem to be unable to cause the
smtpserver to do what I want: reject non-existant user addresses in the
initial SMTP conversation with a remote. I am so tired of seeing error
messages in my outbound mail queue to places that will never accept them
because zmailer seems unable to perform this simple check and thus accepts
any old address that appears to be local.

To be specific, I turned on the "-sft" option to "smtpserver" so that it
will converse with router to check the addresses. Unfortunately, the router
apparently doesn't check whether the address is in /etc/aliases or
/etc/passwd when it passes as a local address, which is the one check I
most want!

And no, I don't give a damn about the security implications of allowing a
remote to verify addresses in this fashion. There are none of any
consequence.

Have any of you succeeded in making zmailer do this? Or do I have to
convert back to sendmail again to get this simple functionality?

	Erik <fair@clock.org>