Timeouts

Hi,
  Ever since I have upgraded to 2.99.50-s5, the server started to suffer
from masive timeouts. What's alarming is that the timeouts happen even for
machines that are really fast when reached via other protocols. E.g. a
machine which I 10.5/9 ms times out on SMTP receive!! It always happens in
the DATA phase. From pretty much the same machines I occasionally get
"Premature EOF..." messages. What gives?
I have changed the timeout values in smtpserver.h to:

  SMTP_COMMAND_ALARM_IVAL == 3600
  SMTP_DATA_TIME_PER_LINE == 1800

but that didn't help a bit. From the fast look at the timer code, could it
be that the alarm() calls overlap thus the latest one effectively timing
out the previously set time trap?

The problem is getting really heavy, so I hope for fast response from you
guys!

thanks,
  grendel