Re: Excessive use of swap

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 06:47:55PM +0200, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> <acli@mingpaoxpress.com>
> >
> > It is possible that the problem is a scheduler misconfiguration. The
> > default (200 channels for a few smtp domains) is pretty optimistic.
> > I have a mailing list running on zmailer, and if a couple of messages
> > to the list were received by zmailer, the scheduler (not the smtpserver)
> > would spawn a number of smtp processes which will consume all swap space.
>
> Is solaris THAT inefficient?  I don't see swapping with 120-odd
> transports running on a linux box with 64 megs.

Sorry, sorry, I should have written more clearly. What I cited
is a 16-meg Linux box, 24 meg swap IIRC.  That machine also
runs a web server and a SQL server, and is being used as a user
workstation.

If the Solaris machine is running other large daemons, it may
also run into the same problem I ran into.

--
Ambrose C. Li   <acli@mingpaoxpress.com>  +1-416-321-0088
Programmer-analyst/ system administrator/ PC user support