retries of delivery failure

We run zmailer 2.99.49p9 system with local delivery to a partition
with disk quotas.  What I would like to happen when delivery is attempted
to the mailbox of a user who has exceeded their quota is for a few fairly
quick retries followed by only occasional retries (e.g. once an hour)
for a couple of days and then give up.

Despite playing with parameters in scheduler.conf, I have not been able to
achieve this -- the retries are very frequent, no doubt having a
performance impact.  Any hints on how I can do this?

  David Trueman,
    Systems Manager, Dalhousie Faculty of Computer Science
    Technical Chair, Chebucto Community Net