unlink errors in scheduler log

I recently downloaded and installed zmailer-2.99.49p4-1.i386.rpm, however
it seems to be having problems delivering mail on my local box.  I'm not
sure if this is a problem with the configuration files in the RPM or
zmailer in general, but I figured I'd try here first.  Just to clarify,
I'm running RedHat 4.0 on my home machine, connected to the net by ppp.
Whenever any kind of mail is sent (eg mail -s "test" kwn@localhost <
testfile), it's never delivered.  The following are all of the relevant
log files I could think of attaching, including scheduler.conf

/var/log/mail/router:
: address: kwn
: address: kwn@localhost
add_seq: cannot open /etc/zmailer/db/fqdnaliases.idx mode "r"!
search_bin: cannot open /etc/zmailer/db/fqdnaliases.idx!
: deferred: IO:error: kwn@localhost

/var/log/mail/scheduler
scheduler: unlink(45441-181): No such file or directory
seems to reference my problem never had the question answered. =) To my
novice eye, it seems like the problem is with scheduler, (though router's
problems may contribute).  As I understand it, the error message indicates
that the scheduler can't unlink the message control file in
POSTMASTER/transport.  I've looked through the config file for scheduler
and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, but as I said, I'm very
new to the package.  Whatever the problem may be, the POSTOFFICE/queue
hierarchy contains all of the test messages which I've sent.

Kevin

/usr/etc/zmailer/scheduler.conf
# Do not edit this file, instead edit /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/zmailer-2.99.49p3/proto/scheduler.conf
#
#
# Scheduler configuration file
#
# The scheduler reads this file on startup or when it receives a SIGUSR1 signal
#
# Every channel/host combination in recipient addresses will be sifted through
# the clauses matched in this file, picking up parameters until a clause that
# specifies a command.  Everything is free-form with three requirements:
# Clauses (i.e. the channel/host pattern) start at the beginning of a line.
# Clause contents (i.e. the parameters) don't.
# Components are separated by whitespace.
# NB! For command paths, the "current directory" is MAILBIN/ta

# Boilerplate default parameters
*/*	interval=1m
	idlemax=4m # Max idle for SMTP connections is 5 minutes, don't exceed that!
	#          # (Unless smtp channel becomes a bit smarter on handling it..)
	#
	# expire messages after 3 days without full delivery
	expiry=3d
	# when the scheduler gets to the end of the retry sequence,
	# it starts over at some random point in the middle.  The
	# numbers are factors of the scheduling interval.
	retries="1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34"
	# no default limits on simultaneous transport agents or
	# connections to a particular host
	maxchannel=0
	maxring=20
	#
	maxta=250 # OSF/1 has 4096 files per process. Don't overbook :-)
	#
	# skew is maximum number of tries before the retry time is
	# aligned to a standard boundary (seconds modulo interval).
	skew=1
	# default uid/gid of transport agents
	user=root
	group=daemon
	#
	# A flag telling about queue-order..
	#
	ageorder
	overfeed=150

# Deferred delivery is handled by this transport agent.  Deferrals are low
# priority, but they tend to bunch up.  The 1 channel slot means there will
# be lots of contention, and typical checking intervals will be a bit higher
# than what is specified (due to waiting for a free slot).
hold/*
	interval=5m
	maxchannel=1
	command=hold

# BITNET delivery methods

defrt1/*
	maxchannel=3
	command="sm -c $channel defrt1"

bsmtp3/*
	maxchannel=3
	command="sm -c $channel bsmtp3"

bsmtp3nd/*
	maxchannel=3
	command="sm -c $channel bsmtp3nd"
bsmtp3rfc/*
	maxchannel=3
	command="sm -c $channel bsmtp3"

bsmtp3ndrfc/*
	maxchannel=3
	command="sm -c $channel bsmtp3nd"

# Local delivery: files, processes, user mail
local/file*
	interval=5m
	idlemax=9m
	# Originally we had 3 hour expiry, but if your local system goes to
	# a fizz (freezes, that is), your local mail may start to bounce
	# before anybody notices anything...
	expiry=3d
	# want 20 channel slots, but only one HOST
	maxchannel=15
	maxring=5
	#
	# Do MIME text/plain; Quoted-Printable -> text/plain; 8BIT
	# conversion on flight!  (Can't use CYRUS, nor PROCMAIL here!)
	command="mailbox -8"
local/pipe*
[...]
	#command="mailbox -8"
	# Or with CYRUS server the following might do:
	#command="sm -8c $channel cyrus"
	# Or with PROCMAIL as the local delivery agent:
	command="sm -8c $channel procm"

# smtpx is a channel where the delivery is done without checking at MXes;
# rather only on A/AAAA (address) entries:
smtpx/*
	maxchannel=90
	maxring=10
	command="smtp -c smtpx -x -s"

# Sometimes we may want to PUNT all out to somewhere without regarding
# on what the routing said:
#
# smtp/*
#	maxchannel=199
#	maxring=5
#	command="smtp -F [192.89.123.25] -l /var/log/mail/smtp.punt"

# This is a FAST EXPIRY test case.. Will always cause bounce, btw..
smtp/*-gw.funet.fi
	maxchannel=0
	maxring=5
	expiry=1m
	interval=15s
	retries="1"
	skew=1
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"

smtp/*.rutgers.edu
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=10
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.edu
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=20
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.com
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=30
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.uk
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=8
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.ca
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=10
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.se
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=7
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.dk
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=7
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.is
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=5
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.no
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=7
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.de
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=10
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.uk
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=10
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.gov
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=5
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.mil
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=5
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.net
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=10
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"
smtp/*.org
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=10
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"

# Within FUNET we have a bit longer expiry..
smtp/*funet.fi
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=9
	# maxta=2
	interval=10m
	retries="1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34"
	skew=1
	# Do FORCED MIME-decoding into C-T-E: 8BIT
	command="smtp -8sl /var/log/mail/smtp"

# Within our organization we care more about speed and capacity than connections
# The maxchannel value should be larger than the value used by smtp/*, to avoid
# some potential state and phase problems in the queues.
smtp/*.fi
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=20
	interval=10m
	retries="1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34"
	skew=1
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"

# Connections to the outside shouldn't duplicate effort so we only allow one
# per destination.
smtp/*
	maxchannel=199
	maxring=50
	command="smtp -s" # -l /var/log/mail/smtp"

# Error messages.  Delivery can be retried at leisure.
error/*
	interval=5m
	idlemax=2m
	maxchannel=5
	command=errormail

# UUCP delivery.  The "sm" transport agent picks the first host it sees and
# will select further recipient addresses with that host only.  We tell
# the scheduler this with the "byhost" boolean, to avoid a staggered delivery
# effect if the scheduler has to discover this on its own.
uucp/*		maxchannel=5
		command="sm -8c $channel uucp"

# News delivery.  Hostname is always the same here.
usenet/*	maxchannel=2
		command="sm -8c $channel usenet"

# UBC EAN X.400 gateway.  See comment at UUCP.
ean/*		maxchannel=1
		command="sm -c $channel ean"

- --
Kevin Nikiforuk					knikifor@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca