Procmail again :-(

Hi,

I've previously asked about the use of procmail to deliver messages and have
tried following the instructions given with procmail for setting up zmailer
to be happy with it, also a few suggestions sent directly to me from others
who (I think) have procmail working with zmailer on their system ok.

I have tried:

 * I've tried using procmail as a replacement to 'mailbox' as supplied with
   zmailer.  Using (in sm.conf):

   local   sSPfn   /usr/bin/procmail               procmail -t -a $h -d $u

   and in scheduler.conf;

   #
   local/*
        interval=60s
        idlemax=90s
        expiry=3h
        # want 20 channel slots, but only one HOST
        maxchannel=10
        maxring=5
        #
        # Do MIME text/plain; Quoted-Printable -> text/plain; 8BIT
        # conversion on flight!
        command="sm -8c $channel local"

   but zmailer tries to deliver to files and pipes using procmail.

   It has been suggested I setup files and pipes to deliver using mailbox
   (as before), I'm not entirely sure how to do this, I tried adding
   defintions in scheduler.conf for 'local/file' and 'local/pipe' but these
   made no difference as procmail still received the to file and to pipe
   messages.

 * Putting "|/usr/bin/procmail" in .forward, with .forward being owned
   by the user and mode 600.  I get the following message sent to the
   postmaster.

   ----------------- MSG HERE --------------------
   A copy of your message is being returned to you due to difficulties
   encountered while attempting to deliver your mail.

   Very often people attempt to send mail to USERIDs, which are not
   known to this particular system.

   The following errors occurred during message delivery processing:

   <local ggi-robot "|/usr/bin/procmail" 65535>: mail to program disallowed

   SNIP

   Final-Recipient: X-LOCAL; ?program?
   Action: failed
   Diagnostic-Code: 550 (Mail to program disallowed w/o proper privileges)
   ----------------- MSG HERE --------------------

   What privileges might these be?  The mode of the .forward or
   /usr/bin/procmail file?  Authorisation by the mail adminstrator
   that this program maybe executed by anyone, or some people from
   their .forward files?  Authorisation that any or some users may
   execute programs (all all) from their .forward files?

   I shutdown and restarted zmailer between config changes.

   My versions are:

      ZMailer router (2.99.38 #1: Sun Sep 22 18:20:44 BST 1996)

      procmail v3.11pre4 1995/10/29 written and created by Stephen R. vanden

--
Darryl Miles