Re: Those spammers, and their tools...

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> NO .edu, .gov, .mil, .org
> 	>>> Does anybody know, why those toplevels have been removed
> 	    from the list ?  Is there some US government action that
> 	    can be behind it ?

I think maybe it's just an optimization to reach the more gullible of the
internet throng.

>       ** Automatically maintains your SMTP server list to
>       use only the fastest servers or it can distribute your mailing
>       evenly among all servers on your preferred list.

This is where my approach works.  Since I put in my SMTP server anti-spamming
code (posted to the list a while back - it slows down the SMTP responses
with increasing recipient addresses) the spammers that used to plague us
have gone elsewhere.  It's the same theory as a car alarm: they'll go steal
an easier car ==> they'll go use a faster, more cooperative SMTP server.

Of course a few customers have run afoul of my anti-spamming code when they
try to forward jokes to 50 of their closest friends, but it's a small price
to pay for progress.  :-)

This Floodgate guy really gets me in a lather.  Why I'd like to....

-Andy