Tweaking router performance.

Through various management "genius" there is currently a project
underway that will, in the end, be delivering half a million pieces of
email a day (About 10 pieces of email sent to 50,000 recipients.
Flame me on the stupidity of that later.  I am currently hunting
managers.).

At this point, I am noticing that the biggest bottleneck looks to be the
router (And that if I limit myself to 1 or 2 routers, I will get better
performance).  What can I do to shorten the amount of time a message
spends in the router?  Should I choose to bypass the router, what
files must I create to keep the scheduler happy?

Does adequate locking exist so that multiple machines could use the
same postoffice area (via NFS) for routing?  For scheduling?
For SMTP delivery?

While I consider this to be spamming to the extreme, supposedly all 50,000
recipients volunteered for the mail (I suspect that it was a default
option on the first HTML form they saw).

Any information would be appreciated.

On another note, I am looking to use zmailer on the internal mail hubs.
Unfortunately we have about 17 internal directly attached networks
ranging from a couple class A networks to a several class C networks.
The safest determination of whether an address is internal or external
is if the address comes (eventually) to an internal IP address.
To do this, adding a netmask driver to the db facilities would be
needed.  What are some guidelines for writing db drivers?

Thank You.

Chris Dukes