Mail bouncing

I've had this problem for a few weeks now, and have tried everything I
know to fix it but to no avail.  It happens to about 98% of the email
messages to my domain "goldweb.com.au", they get bounced with the
following error:

<matt@goldweb.com.au>

553 mail.goldweb.com.au. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
554 <matt@goldweb.com.au>... Local configuration error

[snip]

Final-Recipient: RFC-822; matt@goldweb.com.au
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.goldweb.com.au

[snip]

I don't get it.. there is a MX entry for the domain and each machine
pointing with a priority of 10 to mail.goldweb.com.au, however
removing the MX record altogether (and waiting for DNS propagation)
still doesn't change a thing, the problem still occurs.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.. I'm stumped :-(

Oh, it's a Linux (2.0.30) box running zmailer-2.99.49p3...

-- Matt                                 [matt@blitzen.canberra.edu.au]
"I believe there comes a time when everything just falls in line, We
 live and learn from our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by faith."
                                         -- Pat Benetar, "All Fired Up"