Re: Questions re Zmail

> On Tue, 20 May 1997, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
> >	Also yesterday here was a question about having knowledge about
> >	system load average, and IMO if the scheduler would need to check
> >	it every time it is about to fork() a new transport agent, it
> >	would soon be doing that generally very expensive operation
> >	over and over again...  (On Linux it is cheap, but other systems
> >	are not so nice..)  If the "TimeServer" would present the LoadAvg
> >	in its shared memory block, then it would be cheaper...
>
> That is a good idea.

	Except that 'loadavg' code is non-trivially system dependent,
	sometimes even version dependent.  Does anybody out there have
	autoconfigured loadavg code ?

> >> 2. Why does mailq need the -Q option when querying a scheduler running
> >> with -Q? This is quirk. Make mailq discover what protocol is used by the
> >> scheduler and act appropriately.
> >
> >	Actually the 'mailq' can't.  The output IS empty for the case
> >	of having nothing in the queue, but it LOOKS empty, when the -Q
> >	option is used at the scheduler.
>
> Then make the output be some characteristic string. It would be nice if
> mailq would display without the -Q option even if the scheduler
> uses -Q.

	Ah...  So the 'classical' display could be with some '-D' option
	(for 'detailed delivery states'), and the default would be this 'Q' ?

> >	With VERY BIG lists it is better to use external program to split
> >	the number of recipients down to more manageable size pieces -- like
> >	1000 - 1500 recipients each.  Also preferrably sort them by the
> >	domains so that the message has more changes to be delivered to
> >	more than one recipient at the time over the SMTP connections...
> >
> >	It would be nice if the list expander would use  zmailer(3) library
> >	(and data format!) to do the message submissions, then it would
> >	work neatly, and with minimal process creation.  ( = No 'sendmail'
> >	running at all..)
>
> Maybe one could use the buildin script language to write a small
> listserver?

	Not at the moment.  Current script language is very memory
	intensive :-(

> Also does the subscription mechanism to the list work? I have followed
> instructions but not received any response to my subscribe request.

	It should...  <mailserver@nic.funet.fi> is the canonic location,
	and I think I have seen successfull uses of the alias:
		<zmailer-request@nic.funet.fi>

/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>