Re: smtp-server and blind relaying...

> >      Here is an extract from my development tree, where
> >      I have built following example while testing ideas
> >      for the control system.
>
> Matti, this seams really useful in respect of recent total anti-spam
> armament ;)  but may I ask, is there a *really good* reason for making
> checks in smtpserver rather than router?  Yes I know that this way you can
> keep your queue tidy.  But on the other hand, it is the router which
> deals with addresses, distinguishes local domains from remote etc.
>
> For me, it sounds reasonable to do the filtering job in the router.

	Well, there are several reasons for these mechanisms
	being added to the smtp-server, and none of them prevents
	you from doing similar/same at the router scripts.

	However there are some things you can't do in router...
	- total blockade of some source IP-addresses  (could do it
	  via the TCP-wrapper, though..)
	- instant lightweight rejection responce
	- address format complexity limitation
	  (I mean !%-kludges, and source-routeing)

> Just my 2 cents...
>
> Eugene

	/Matti Aarnio