queueing multiple messages

excuse me if this is a beginners question:

I'm trying to queue many many messages from within PERL.

For each message, I open a pipe to the /usr/lib/sendmail, and send
all the parameters.  Simple, but not fast enough.  Too many
opens/closes!

Is there some way to send multiple messages down open pipe to
/usr/lib/sendmail?   if so, how do I end one message and start
another?

if not, is it possible to write files directly into the outgoing
queue?

thanks for any info!

      Ryan Scott - rscott@netcreations.com - 718 522 1531
          - Reinventing Direct Marketing on the Net -
       NetCreations, Inc - http://www.netcreations.com
                - Targeted Voluntary Email -
PostMaster Direct Response - http://www.netcreations.com/postdirect/
             *be sure to quote me in your reply*