Re: piping to programs

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Ambrose Li wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Jan Rychter wrote:
>
> >   I'm still struggling with piping mail to programs. Why do I get:
> >
> > expn majordomo@localhost
> > 250-Usage: login2uid login
> > 250-Usage: fullname key
> > 250-Usage: recase [ -u | -l | -p ] string
> > 250-Usage: fullname key
> > 550 no such user: <"|/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo">
> > 501 5.4.0 Unable to verify that address
> >
> > even though majordomo works ? (the reason I'm asking this is because
> > all of my list archivers stopped working when I switched to zmailer).
>
> Intersting. I switched my home machine switched to zmailer for about half
> a day before I switched it back to Smail because of problems piping to
> programs (also mailing list related). But it says piping to programs is
> not allowed instead of no such user.

Just a note on running pipes under zmailer:

	try setting permissions on your db/ subtree to be:

	#ls -l /zmailer/db
	drwx------  2 root         1536 Sep  5 17:02 /zmailer/db

where db contains your aliases, routes, localnames, fullnames, etc. db's

It wouldn't work for me until I restricted access to db/

Cheers,
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (403) 492-8226