Re: Z-mailer timezone oddity

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Matti Aarnio wrote:

>	Hmm...  I was afraid of this..
>	It is due to   mktime()  using local timezone info, while
>	I THOUGHT it would not use it..  Effectively the +0100 says
>	that you have daylight savings time on.
>
>	... Several thoughts and tests latter ...
>	Now I have autoconfig test for timezonal information, and
>	do use it.  Works at OSF/1, and Solaris 2.5.
>	It will report an "Aiee..." if it can't figure out the
>	system timezone method.

I get this message from configure under Linux using libc 5.3.12.
The "timezone" method in this case uses the extern long timezone
in <time.h> with no altzone, but right now zmailer has no timezone
sense at all. :-(

How can I get it to work?

This is with 2.99.34, btw.

>       Some playings at Solaris 2.5:
>
>784$ ./rfc822date-test
>	result: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:25:54 +0300

I compiled this test program, btw, and TZ seems to be completely ignored.
Not that I regard *that* as a fault, but the timezone seems always to
be +0000. I thought I might be able to set TZ to something that zmailer
understands in /etc/zmailer.conf as a workaround, but even that is not
available. For the time being, I've just hacked rfc822date.c to use
'timezone' regardless of whether altzone exists.

Some other things that should probably be fixed; these are with the
configure-generated SiteConfig:

  o  MANDIR=${prefix}/man should have already substituted ${prefix}

  o  SMTPOPTIONS has the log being written to /var/spool/mail
     regardless of where the --with-logdir= option is set.
     SCHEDULEROPTIONS has no such problem.

  o  NROUTERS is not inherited if you use --with-zmailer-conf=.

  o  Path to inews is also not inherited as default.

  o  smtpserver identifies itself as 2.99.34a2, which I think
     was the previous release, not the current one.

I did have some problems in make install at first, but I seemed to
have straightened them out. When I did the first build, I had
zmailer executables going to /usr/lib/mail/bin (an empty 'bin'
directory is created in there for some reason, but I think this
problem has existed for a while but wasn't worth mentioning).
However, make install attempted to put the transport modules into
/usr/local/bin/ta rather than /usr/lib/mail/bin/ta where they
belonged. As i said, though, I seem to have straightened this out,
probably by using a more complete invocation of configure (ie. more
command line options) since I previous thought that more of the
options from /etc/zmailer.conf would be adopted.

I found something curious, is this supposed to be the way that VRFY
works?

% telnet blaze.net.au smtp
Trying 203.17.53.1...
Connected to server.blaze.net.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 server.blaze.net.au ZMailer Server 2.99.33a2 #1 ESMTP+IDENT ready at Sun, 4 Aug 1996 17:47:22 +0000
HELO unique.blaze.net.au
250 server.blaze.net.au Hello unique.blaze.net.au
VRFY <davidn@blaze.net.au>
250 David Nugent <davidn>
501 Unable to verify that address
VRFY <davidn@server.blaze.net.au>
250 David Nugent <davidn>
501 Unable to verify that address
VRFY xyzzy@blaze.net.au
550 no such user: <xyzzy>
501 Unable to verify that address
QUIT
%

ie. BOTH a '250' or '550' and a '501' response?

The same occurs with EVFY as well.

Regards,
David

David L. Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
<http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn>  Phone +61-3-791-9547  BBS +61-3-792-3507
Pgpkey <http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/davidn.asc> finger davidn@blaze.net.au