Re: Zmailer SMTP: Anal retentive or correct?

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Fri, July 26, 1996 at 09:53:13 (+0300), Matti Aarnio wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Zmailer SMTP: Anal retentive or correct?

> >[[....]]
> > 	Comments ?
>
> I'd suggest the latter if possible, and the '%' hack otherwise.  I think
> this would be most in keeping with RFC 1123.
>
> Certainly nothing should be done to addresses which already *appear* to
> be in the correct format (i.e. they need only look OK, and not actually
> represent actual mailboxes -- that's what bounces are for!  ;-).
>
> --
> 							Greg A. Woods

I would add that they only need to 'look OK' if you are not the primary
uucp gateway. If you ARE, then, not only do they need to look OK, but
they had better represent reality too, and you have the responsibility of
ensuring that the source route is valid - you don't want bounces on
yourself back to your uucp hosts for lack of proper uucp support.

Cheers,
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (403) 492-8226