zmailer 2.99.27 IRIX client problem

I decided to make my SGI mail clients to my Solaris server (happily running
zmailer) but ran into a couple of problems. My first problem was easy, a type
conflict (I can send a patch if this hasnt been already caught).
Unfortunately, my second problem is burning my brain. When testing mail, I
get:
link("/var/spool/postoffice/public/254", "/var/spool/postoffice/router/254"):
errno 2
I thought this was a permission problem, but the disk is exported correctly
and mounted R/W. I thought this was a build problem, but I installed it on
another IRIX5.3 machine and it works. Suggestions, flames (with appropriate
man page references), etc?
Thanks,
John