login2uid problems w/aliases

Hi,

  This might be something simple and stupid (and hopefully is), but
I'm having trouble with mail delivery to _some_ programs on my host.
The errors that I get are:

250 localhost Hello localhost
expn dibug-archive1@sunsite
250-Usage: login2uid login
250-Usage: fullname key
250-Usage: recase [ -u | -l | -p ] string
250-Usage: fullname key
550 no such user: <"|/local/majordomo/wrapper archive -f /local/majordomo/lists/dibug.archive/dibug -m -a">

while I do have an alias:

dibug-archive1: "|/local/majordomo/wrapper archive -f /local/majordomo/lists/dibug.archive/dibug -m -a"

What's even stranger, some pipe aliases do work (majordomo, for
instance), but still they return the above error if expn'd by
telnetting to port 25.

I have located the relevant login2uid invocation in aliases.cf, but
can't think of any way that this should fail. I'm running
zmailer-2.99.27.

Any ideas ?

thanks,
Jan