Re: scheduler: pipe: Too many open files

> Has anyone seen this in their scheduler log file?
>
> 	scheduler: pipe: Too many open files
>
> I can lower some numbers in scheduler.conf to minimize or get rid of
> those error messages, but mail is not processed as fast with low
> maxchannel/maxhost numbers.

	The global   maxta=   number should not be too high.

	If your system has a full-duplex pipe (at the moment it
	means BSD socketpair(), though something could be done
	with STREAMS-pipe at SysV),  then the number of needed
	files at the scheduler is the same as the number of childs
	( + a few more for things like log.. ).

	If your system does not have  BSD socketpair() (or has
	it in faked form), then  scheduler <--> transport-agent
	communication uses TWO files per each TA.

>      My question is: Will the scheduler retry
> the command?  Does the scheduler check that the pipe failed?

	Yes. Yes.    Though limiting the number of  "maxta="  to
	a bit under the number of files available at the system
	for single process does work faster, than to prepare all
	of the ta-client things just to notice that there are not
	enough fds available to have the necessary communication
	pipes..  Consider it as a warning about wasted CPU cycles.

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi> <mea@utu.fi>