Re: Zmailer 2.99.27 & Gigo/2

> On Thu, 23 May 1996, Radi Shourbaji wrote:
>
> > I've been having a number of problems here ever since I replaced sendmail
> > with zmailer 2.99.27.  I'm running Red Hat Linux 2.1 with a 1.2.13
> > kernel.  The problems are as follows:
> >
> > 1) When sending mail via smtp to Gigo/2 on the OS2 machine, the message
> >    intermittently gets sent 2 or more times.  And worse yet, if one of
> >    the recipients is the local zmail machine, it will sometimes send them
> >    over, and over again!
>
>   Sounds like Zmailer is not getting the acknowledge to the "."
> (end-of-message), so it tries to send again, even though Gigo has the
> entire text of message.  Check the smtp transaction logs and see
> what is happening.

	Nope, I got that log, and it shows that pretty often the connection
	open from Linux to OS/2 fails with "Connection timed out".

> > 2) Worse yet, it seems when messages are arriving from multiple sources
> >    the TO: headers are getting switched.  i.e. messages sent to person-a
> >    get sent to person-b, and worst yet messages sent to list-a are getting
> >    sent to list-b.  Or from person-a to list-b, etc...  This is a REAL
> >    big concern.
>
>   Never seen this.  Not sure I understand what you mean by "arriving from
> multiple sources".

	Me neither (exactly) -- example of failed delivery did not
	fail at the SMTP transport, thus it must have failed once
	the GIGO/2 started to process it.

	It is pretty easy to make sure that all email goes via
	si-star1 in its way to si-star2; at the DNS:

	si-star2:	IN A  ....
			IN MX 10 si-star1

	Now all MX-respecting systems (all should..) notice that,
	and send to si-star1.  The "fun" is that you can configure
	the ZMailer to reserve a special queue for si-star2, and
	thus ensure that it never runs more than one session to it.

	At the  scheduler.conf,  add a definition:

		smtp/si-star2.si-star.com

	with the same stuff as the  smtp/*  has.

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>