Re: Zmailer 2.2 SMTP sender interpretation of a 552 reply

On Sat, 11 May 1996, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 1996, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
>
> >  The SMTP sender in Zmailer 2.2 (e8 and straight 2.2) appears to
> > treat a 552 reply (RFC 821: 'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded
> > storage allocation') as only a temporary error (EX_TEMPFAIL in the
> > smtpwrite() routine in transports/smtp.c).
> >
> >  Is my understanding of the code correct? Is my understanding of the
> > situation with 552 errors correct? Does anyone know why Zmailer doesn't
> > treat 552 as a permanent error and keeps retrying the message, if it
> > does do it for this reason? Is it reasonable to make the obvious fix?
> >
> > 	- cks
>
>   Well, an "exceeded storage allocation" error is a temporary error.

I certainly concur here. You obviously don't want to bounce just
because the remote destination's spooler disk is temporarily full.
Eventually (one hopes), free disk will become available on the
remote. A competent MTA is after all a store and forward system.

--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (403) 492-8226