Re: Getting zmailer to run (part of) its queue Right Now?

Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>
> > I've installed zmailer and am reasonably happy with it.  With a bit
> > more tuning, I expect I'll be really happy :)
> >
> > One thing I want to tune is to try to deliver all mail for a certain
> > domain, all mail which can be routed through a certain host, or simply
> > all mail right now.  Any of the three would make me slightly happy,
> > number two would make me really happy.
>
> 	Number one is fairly simple to do, however if the scheduler
> 	has all resources already in use, it won't be able to do that
> 	anyway...   Hopefully your system is not THAT loaded.

Not at all.  But how?

> 	"routed thru certain host" is imprecise thing to ask for;
> 	do you want all email thru   bsmtp3/finfiles  be run, or
> 	do you want all targets be checked for their possible MXes
> 	(if the channel happens to use MXes -- scheduler does not
> 	 know it), and all target systems that run thru some MX-host
> 	are to be scheduled ?

I know.  Ideally I'd want it _all_ :)

It's for downtime hacks: Stuff I do more or less by hand to keep mail
flowing.  I think I could live well if I could add a temporary line to
db/routes and re-route mail to take account of it.

> > I think I've heard of a new SMTP command to do some of this, ETRN,
> > too, but can't find a reference to it now.  Does anyone know what's up
> > with it?
>
> 	I have been playing with an idea of how to do "TURNME", but
> 	I equip it with explicite host identifier..  Something like:

That's how I remember ETRN.  It does allow a slight attack by denial
of service, but not bad.

A couple of comments about compiling:

The mmap() stuff in scheduler/scheduler.c didn't work well with linux
1.3.88.  Linux doesn't have MAP_VARIABLE (which I haven't heard of,
what is it?), and I got very strange results when I deleted it.  It's
run nicely with the Sunos code from the other ifdef.

And what does XDSN refer to?  smtpserver/smtpserver.c has lots of
commands, including some I don't know, but which is it?

--Arnt