Re: Error: trying to talk to myself?

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> 	So a healthy advice:  ALWAYS LIST ALL VARIANTS OF THE SYSTEM
> 			      HOSTNAME INTO THE ``localnames'' DATABASE!

Does this mean "list all possible DNS matches, unqualified names,
/etc/hosts entries and/or entries in /etc/mail.conf"?

On the problem I had written about earlier, I got no responses.  I
suppose I wasn't detailed enough in my message, so ...  Anyway, I've
solved my problem there, but the solution, as is usual, brings up more
questions.

The problem was that the scheduler was choking on messages addressed to
BITNET hosts.  The mailer for 'bsmtp3' or 'bsmtp' was not found.  It's
referred to as '/usr/local/funetnje/bmail' - what is that?  It's nowhere
in the distribution.  Fortunately for our case, we have a local SMTP to
BITNET gateway, so I just added an entry for '.bitnet' in the 'db/routes'
file, hacked up 'cf/rrouter.cf' so that BITNET mail goes to SMTP instead
of BSMTP or BSMTP3.  Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks ...
Roy
rcb@press-gopher.uchicago.edu