Re: ^M

On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Bruce Sterling Woodcock wrote:

> > zmailer is very picky about following things:
> >
> > Illegal-Object: Syntax error in Message-ID: value found on colin.muc.de:
> >         Message-ID:	<457@tavakol.muc.de>
> >         ^-CR without LF (newline)
> > Illegal-Object: Syntax error in Reply-To: address found on colin.muc.de:
> >         Reply-To:	XXXXXXX
> >         ^-CR without LF (newline)
> > Illegal-Object: Syntax error in To: address found on colin.muc.de:
> >         To:	admin@muc.de
> >         ^-CR without LF (newline)
> > Illegal-Object: Syntax error in From: address found on colin.muc.de:
> >         From:	XXXXXX
> >         ^-CR without LF (newline), CR without LF (newline)
> >

> > Unfortunately, a lot of our PC users use DOS/Windows which only end
> > lines by CR.
> >
> > Perhaps it should be possible to tell router to be lazy about these things?
>
> We haven't run into this problem... what mailer are your DOS/Windows users
> using?
>
> I believe RFC822 specifies that CRLF be sent.  If this is the case, you
> should get a compliant mailer (perhaps Eudora).

Bruce, the problem is not: What is RFC compliant. I know RFC 822. So
zmailer does. But in a production system, there are so many broken
mailers talking to you that it might be a good idea to be a bit more sloppy..

e.g. smtpsever doesn't allow dashes (-) in the HELO parameter (at least
did in old versions)

some DOS implementations sent envelope addresses like
from <"full name" <user@host>>

It's all not compliant, but what can you do? Customer says, we bought
this mailing system and want use it..

Regards
	Armin