Netscape 2.0 and zmailer

I am not sure if this is a just a problem with Netscape 2.0 on the Mac
but at the beginning of the SMTP cycle it attempts to say HELO
with a numeric IP address without square brackets.  This
prompts the following from smtpserver (V2.99.16):

19315r  HELO aa.bb.cc.dd
19315w  501-^
19315w  501 Invalid `HELO aa.bb.cc.dd' parameter!  Err: Should this be of <dotn
um> format ? ( [nn.nn.nn.nn] )
19315r  MAIL FROM:<shb@widearea.co.uk>
19315w  503 Waiting for HELO/EHLO command
19315#  aborted: session terminated

I guess the simplest fix is obvious but I will mention it to Netscape...

Simon.