Re: Data 250 error when sending from some winsock applications.

On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Mikael Hugo wrote:

> When some of my customers try to send via winsock applications they get a:
>
> An error occurred talking to the mailhost (DATA): "250 Ok"

  I've seen this with mail clients that don't understand continuation
lines.  They don't provide a correct hostname, so Zmailer gives a
multi-line warning.  However, the client only reads the first line, and
leaves the rest in buffer, and everything keeps working until the client
does a "DATA" command and gets a "250" response from a previous command,
when it is expecting "343".

  Failure to reconize continuation lines violates RFC 821.

  BTW, this sounds a lot like EMC, as it has broken in this regard for
months.  PMAIL for os/2 also has some interesting non-conformance bugs.

  I recommend Eudora for Windows users.  It very good in it's compliance
to internet standards.

Tom