Re: Trying to talk with myself!?

> Hi,
>
> I just installed Z-mailer for use on our main mail server and I'm trying to
> figure out what this message I find in the scheduler log means.
>
> error Trying to talk to myself!

  SMTP server discovered that it is supposed to send the message to
  local server -- a big nono..

  Usually this is due to the host being on some MX-list, or some peculiar
  alias, and the router does not know to handle also the name in question.
  ($MAILVAR/db/localnames)

> Mostly, this occurred when delivery of mail was attempted to local users
> and the mail was from a few different mailing lists.  However, the last
> occurrence of the message was an attempt at delivery to another Internet
> host.  I have rebooted the machine, when 'zmailer bootclean' is done, and
> the message hasn't occured since then, but it is curious.

  A message that had slipped thru the router to the scheduler does
  keep its old (possibly errorneous) processing specifications, until
  it expires..

  I suggest the expiration/error delivery did happen to it.

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>