Usernames with dots in...

Unlikely but true.  For various reasons I want usernames of the form
xxx.yyy.  The trouble is that zmailer 2.99.15/16 get upset because they try
to map that to a realname and if that fails then to a newsgroup.  By
lightly hacking rrouter.cf in an obvious way I have got it to work but I
was wondering if there was a better way to do it.

In particular, is there any obvious way to check the validity of a local
user?  After all, it seems that quite often in the router cf files the
default delivery is to try to deliver to a local user without checking if
that user exists.  Then the local delivery agent checks and fails the
delivery rather than doing it in the router which seems like the obvious
place.

Any thoughts from anyone?
Simon Brock.