Re: Different rewriting for To/cc headers?

 > THE PROBLEM
 > If an internal person sends mail to an Internet user, and cc's a person in
 > their company, the Internet person sees a header like this:
 >
 > From: <sender's Internet address>		# converted from ugly version
 > To: <Internet recipient>
 > cc: <cc's ugly internal address>		# not converted

really?  i'm surprised at this.  since you say you've tried it, and i
haven't, i certainly believe you, but from the reading of the design doc
and code i thought that the rewrite function that gets returned from
crossbar(S, Rn) was applied to all recipient addresses in the copy of the
message sent to Rn, for all n recipients.  i thought that the whole point
of this was to avoid the problem you're describing.

tell me, what does the header look like that is sent to the cc'ed recipient?

 > THE SOLUTION
 > Well, I don't have one, but here's how I see it.  If I'm looking at a
 > recipient header (a cc: header, which means it is different than the
 > envelope), and the recipient envelope is going to the Internet,
 > then I do conversions on this cc: address as if it was the sender.
i would have thought you'd want to convert cc: addresses as if it was
the recipient.  in your example, this would have the same effect, no?

paul
    paul fox                            american internet corporation
    pgf@american.com			(home: pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us)
    "As you can see, unraveling even a small part of 'sendmail'
    can introduce more complexity than answers." --Brian Costales, _sendmail_