Re: transports directory

[ On Thu, July  6, 1995 at 23:00:34 (-0700), Tom Samplonius wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: transports directory
>
>   Which scheme implemenation would you recommend?  I have mit-scheme, but
> it was severly hacked in the porting process and seems rather unsuitable
> for embedded applications.

Elk is one I've had a go at before, and though I wasn't terribly
satisfied with it then, the problems I was dealing with have gone away,
and the new version is said to be much improved.

According to the Scheme FAQ elk is at tub.cs.tu-berlin.de:/pub/elk/

The FAQ mentions several others too:

	scam.berkeley.edu:/pub/src/local/fools.1.3.2.tar.Z
	ftp.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/scheme-repository/imp/		(looks promising)
	ftp://clark.lcs.mit.edu/pub/su/scsh/scsh.tar.gz		(also promising)

> > programming in it is also a pre-requisite skill for any system
> > administrator, thus it is an equally good candidate for an extension
> > language, and thus still a good choice for zmailer.
>
>   I rarely find the need to do sh programming for system administration.

Depends what you do I guess, and/or if you've decided to to use some
other language such as perl.

I find I write at least one new script a month, but then I'm always
automating things, and building new types of tools.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods