Re: Problems with scheduler

On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, Henry Timmerman wrote:
>
> > processed). Because the load is quite big (1000 messages per day) I
> > thought that this is the problem, but Zmailer says it can handle
> > 2000 messages per day. Machine running Linux is a *high* end 486.
>
>   1000 messages a day is a very light load for even a 486.  A 486 system
> should be able to handle three times that and still not exceed 1.0 load.

Let me state this a little more strongly: 1000 messages a day is a NOTHING
load for a 486 running linux, even under sendmail 8.6.10, which we're
still using.  This machine typically makes 20,000 deliveries a day, and
still manages to support an average of 10 people logged in (nobody running
emacs, though :-) ).  With Zmailer, it should be able to handle a
significantly higher mail load than 20,000 deliveries a day.  Hell, even
smail can handle 1000 messages a day with no problem.  (BTW, this is a
486/100 with 16M RAM).

Lee Silverman     lee@netspace.org      http://www.netspace.org/users/lee/
Network: Any thing reticulated or decussated, at equal distances,
         with interstices between the intersections.  -- S. Johnson