Tilde in mailbox part of address

  This seems so familiar, but I couldn't find it in the archives, so...

  Is a tilde (~) a valid character to appear in the mailbox part of an
address?  I checked RFC822 and RFC821, and it appears so, but Zmailer
complains:

... while talking to hooch.cc.lehigh.edu.:
>>> MAIL From:<jim~eshleman@hooch.cc.lehigh.edu>
<<< 501-          ^
<<< 501 Path data: Missing "@" from mailbox definition
554 lujce@hooch.cc.lehigh.edu... Remote protocol error

  Note Sendmail doesn't complain :-(  I've been running Zmailer for some
years and I think this is the first time I've encountered an address with
a tilde.  And no, I wouldn't make an address with a tilde! :-)

/jim