Re: Deliver to scripts...

On Sun, 19 Feb 1995, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   Actually, the error is probably from mailbox, as mailq reports the
> following:
>
> local/bounce-back:
>         373:    cannot fdopen(8) (retry in 45s, expires in 2h57m24s)

Since mailbox.c has:

        if ((fp = fdopen(fdmail, "a+")) == NULL) {
          notaryreport(NULL,NULL,NULL);
          DIAGNOSTIC(rp, EX_TEMPFAIL, "cannot fdopen(%d)", fdmail);
          return NULL;
        }

you could likely find out what errno thinks the problem is from the
fdopen (i.e.ENOMEM, EMFILE, ENFILE, may be likely candidates), if there
was an errno call here...

But I bet it's a max files open problem. I just did a mailq to your
machine, and there are quite a few open files - about 83 entries in your
queue just now, so your system is likely running on the edge.

Can you reconfig your kernel to increase the open files count?

--
James S. MacKinnon             Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Computing/Networking           Voice : (403) 492-8226