Re: Weird HELO's

On Fri, 17 Feb 1995, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   The guy answering postmaster mail claims that it is my problem because
> my system is giving the error.  Sigh...
>
>   It only appears to affect some mail from that site....I think it my be
> a mailing list/alias?

can you set up zmailer to run AUTH (IDENT)? , i.e.:

SMTPOPTIONS="-asve -l /zmailer/log/smtpserver"

Perhaps some joker is posing as a host from that domain and setting up an
SMTP direct session to you without going through their main MX. Or worse
yet, somebody else not in their domain posing as being from that domain...

The IDENT from the true IP address will show up in the smtpserver log
similar to:

1565#   connection from root@relay.phys.ualberta.ca (port 4451)
1565w   220 Phys.UAlberta.CA Server ESMTP+AUTH 2.99.9mea #5 ready at Sun,
15 Jan 1995 22:42:24 -0700
1565#   remote from [129.128.7.68]
1565r   EHLO relay.phys.ualberta.ca

--
James S. MacKinnon             Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Computing/Networking           Voice : (403) 492-8226