Re: Weird HELO's

On Fri, 17 Feb 1995, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   I've noticed that Sendmail sometimes issues a HELO command that looks
> like the following:
>
> HELO gasmail@xmission.com
>
> but all versions of zmailer reject it.  Isn't this contary to the RFC's?
> Does anyone know under what circumstances Sendmail does this?

It's pretty easy to mis-configure a vanilla sendmail (that host's
sendmail.cf file is badly configured :-)

Yes it's an invalid parameter to HELO, and smart mailer's (i.e. Zmailer)
won't tolerate it:

HELO gasmail@xmission.com
501-        ^
501 Invalid `HELO gasmail@xmission.com' parameter!  Err: Spurious junk
after the DOMAIN in HELO/EHLO argument

what this means is that '@' is not allowed in a DOMAIN specification.
The parameter for HELO is a DOMAIN, not an address

About the only thing you can do is notify the postmaster at that site.
(really needs to be 'xmission.xmission.com' )

 --
James S. MacKinnon             Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Computing/Networking           Voice : (403) 492-8226