Re: Header re-write

On Thu, 16 Feb 1995, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   Funny you should mention Zmailer and firewalls.  I don't know if anyone
> has heard of a product called "Janus".  It is billed as a turn-key
> firewall system.  Basically aimed at people who don't understand Internet
> security....anyways, one of the selling points was that they don't use
> Sendmail, but use Zmailer because it is more secure.  No idea what version.

	Really?  Not to downplay Zmailer at all, but I would consider
this a BAD idea.  Chapter 1 of Cheswick and Bellovin's Firewall book
gives a pretty good argument why you shouldn't run complicated software
on your firewall.  I would take that further: if you can't check the code
yourself, you shouldn't be running it on your firewall.  I would say that
Zmailer is far too complicated to check yourself.  This isn't a firewalls
list and I am no expert, but an internal machine can run zmailer to
deliver mail efficiently, and SMTP on the firewall can forward to the
internal machine using MX record magic.

Lee Silverman, Brown class of '94, Brown GeoPhysics ScM '95
Email to: Lee_Silverman@brown.edu
Phish-Net Archivist: phish-archives@phish.net
"Nonsense - you only say it's impossible because nobody's ever done it."