Re: "localnames" surprise -- db usage changed!

[ Undoubtly others will get caught with this surprise also.. ]

> With
> 	SunOS scapa 4.1.3_U1 2 sun4m
> 	gcc version 2.6.0
> 	zmailer-2.99.7
>
> This is a problem with the localnames database.
>
> With zmailer-2.99.7 and zmailer-2.99.7/proto/cf/*
> the localnames database was not been processed correctly:
>
> With zmailer-2.99.7 binaries and cf files from way back
> it seems to work ok:

	I have been altering the CF files, and at some point the
	LOCALNAMES file altered drastically.  Essentially I wanted
	to have multiple canonized names (canonized in local sense)
	which would not become mapped to the one and only name in
	the  /etc/mail.conf ..

	The  INSTALL doc says:

        With the sample config files for mea's Zmailer-2.98, and latter
        this "localnames" is actually a mapping of those various names to
        the desired forms of the canonic name, thus an example:

        astro.utu.fi            astro.utu.fi
        oj287                   astro.utu.fi
        oj287.astro.utu.fi      oj287.astro.utu.fi
        oj287.utu.fi            astro.utu.fi
        sirius                  sirius.utu.fi
        sirius.astro.utu.fi     sirius.utu.fi
        sirius.utu.fi           sirius.utu.fi

	But nobody reads that file when upgrading, right ?
	(I should have known..)

> z#  router bruce@scapa
> <bruce.interactive@scapa.cs.ualberta.ca>: address: bruce@scapa
> (((local - bruce default_attributes)))
>
> Removing entries from localnames caused the problem to
> migrate to other places.
>
> Oddly enough
> 	db print thishost
> spit out exactly what was in localnames.

	Yes, but its use is different.  I wonder how I could make
	that change well known ?  Write a note about it to the
	list perhaps ?

	Naeh, I have been creating a "README.UPGRADING" recently
	(since  2.99.3, I think), it is better place to put these
	warnings in :-)

> scapa is listed in localnames
>
> # wc /usr/lib/zmailer/db/localnames
>      491     520    7941 /usr/lib/zmailer/db/localnames

	Eee ....  491 names  ??
	(You must map even every PC, as valid local name...)

	I have some 20, and I use "ordered" -type, which means
	sort(1) order for the file.

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@utu.fi>