Re: Load-average based SMTP receiver blocking ?

>                a)      Connection Refused (meaning that it should
>                        shut down the listen-socket, and be wakefull
>                        to spot the load-drop for re-init..)
>                        ( This is COMPLEX thing to do :-/  )

This is what I do in my version of this modification. It's not TOO difficult :-)

>                b)      Immediately at connection formation respond
>                        "400 Sorry, the system is too loaded.."
>                        and hangup
>                        ( Implemented, works  -- ftp.funet.fi experience.. )

Bleh. There are broken gates out there that treat this as something to
bounce rather than retry... Also, this will just ADD load to your system,
since smtpserver will still need to spawn to reject...better to just play
dead.

>                c)      Accept  EHLO/HELO,  and then check who is
>                        sending (glob-matching a pattern), and use
>                        individual load-averages for each contacting
>                        site -- thus hang-up only AFTER EHLO/HELO.
>                        ( The hooks are in the upcoming dump.. )

Hmmm...again, this just adds load, but it could be worth it...