Re: NOBODY = -2 ???

On Fri, 23 Dec 1994, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> > I have a question:
> > I README.solaris it is suggested that in Solaris NOBODY should be set to -2
>
> 	You are reading my old notes.
> 	Best value for it appears to be (on Solaris) 60001, which is
> 	what the system default "nobody" userid uses.
>
> 	The "-2" is old "nobody" from SunOS 4.x, which is imitated on
> 	quite many systems, but Solaris decided to be "different young"..
> 	(The  uid_t  changed from  'unsigned short' to 'long', and thus
> 	 signed values no longer act modulo 65536 ...)

This appears to be SVR4 specific rather than Solaris specific as it is
also true for IRIX 5.

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: Andy.Poling@jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  URL: http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~andy/
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (410)516-8096
Johns Hopkins University (Balto, MD)     UUCP: uunet!mimsy!jhunix!andy