Re: Status: 550 User unknown error messages..

>  I just got the following from our mailer..
>
>  It send mail to mbnet.mb.ca and got back a Status 550  user unknown error.
>
>  zmailer on our side picked this up as being an unknown address for
>  OUR domain and tacked on the 'delivery' error message along with
>  the original contents.. This should not happen when the error is coming
>  from a remote system.
>
>  I have no idea if this is a problem on my part or within zmailer.. Any
>  ideas?

	Well, yes, there is a solution -- one which I have used for
	ages but apparenly have not documented ?  (Requires my version
	of the scheduler, which you have..)

	After all, it is "just" a question of picking proper
	boiler-plate text...

	Add into $MAILSHARE/scheduler.conf on the "default" entry
	"*/*" a:
		deliveryform=delivery
	and on your LOCAL entries ("local/*", "smtp/*.local.domain", ..)
		deliveryform=deliverylocal

	Generalizing this into multiple kinds of "delivery errors"
	per target system should be obvious (and trivial).

	Rest of it is perhaps best explained by this diff:
*** /p/mail/forms/delivery      Tue Aug 30 11:47:57 1994
--- /p/mail/forms/deliverylocal Tue Jul 26 00:05:42 1994
***************
*** 6,13 ****
  A copy of your message is being returned to you due to difficulties
  encountered while attempting to deliver your mail.

! This is not our local user, thus we can't say more precisely.
! Look below for the error messages.

  The following errors occurred during message delivery processing:

--- 6,16 ----
  A copy of your message is being returned to you due to difficulties
  encountered while attempting to deliver your mail.

! Very often people attempt to send mail to USERIDs, which are not
! known to this particular system.  However, campus-wide, that is
! within the utu.fi domain, we DO KNOW
!               Firstname.Familyname@utu.fi
! for everybody.  Try that form of addresses.

  The following errors occurred during message delivery processing:

>  The following is the trace of logs on the gateway..

Btw: This is in the distribution in the "proto/utu.*" -files/dirs.

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@nic.funet.fi>