Re: Hostnames/Localnames

On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Neil J. McRae wrote:
> We have a machine that has the real hostnaem office.demon.net.
>
> I want it to be able to accept mail for demon.net and so that when users
> email out the email address is user@demon.net and not
> user@office.demon,net.

Just keep a sorted list of the aliases in /usr/lib/mail/db/localnames.
For example, here is part of ours (edited for brevity):

# cat /usr/lib/mail/db/localnames
#a This *entire* file must be kept sorted (comments included!)
gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
jhunix
jhunix.bitnet
jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
jhunix.uucp
jhunix1
jhunix1.hcf.jhu.edu
jhunixnew.hcf.jhu.edu

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  URL: http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~andy/
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (410)516-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: uunet!mimsy!jhunix!andy