Re: Underscore in Host names -- 2.94 solves it..

> ... while talking to yukon.cren.org.:
> <<< 501-                    ^
> <<< 501 Path data: Extra garbage before terminating ">"
> 554 <listproc@yukon.cren.org>... Remote protocol error
>
>    ----- Message header follows -----
>
> Underscore is legal, Zmailer 2.9.3-940816 is rejecting them ????

	So it appears to be doing, but it is legal ?
	I think it is not (per DNS naming rules, very least)..

	I am now dumping 2.94, which accepts underscores like in
	your example (and does a bunch of other things as well),
	but be prepared that domain components are expected only
	to contain chars:  A-Z, 0-9, '-', and now '_'.

	Here comes question:  What other chars should be considered
	as valid on components of the host/domain name ? (Domain
	components are separated by '.', as you know..)

	(there have been about half a dozen '2.94' dumps during the day,
	 so be sure you didn't take it before you read about it in this
	 email..)

	ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/unix/mail/zmailer/zmailer-2.94-940825.tar.gz

> /Marco

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@utu.fi>

--------- from ChangeLog... ---------

Wed Aug 24 02:00:17 1994  Matti E. Aarnio  (mea@oj287.astro.utu.fi)

	* Dumped 2.94mea

	* smtpserver/rfc821scn.c:
	    Address like:  <test@test_vms.domain>  is to be accepted..
	    (what else ?  test-vms  there is..)

	* transports/mailbox/mailbox.c:
	* transports/smtp/smpt.c:
	    Testing NOTARY message production.

	* transports/libta/diagnostics.c:
	    Produce the NOTARY diagnostics ( notaryreport() )

	* scheduler/transport.c:
	    Had a peek as to why some machines (SunOS 4.1.3 most notably)
	    can't run more than about 50 (!) channel programs at a time!
	    (Marco Hernandez @ CREN.ORG reported this problem..)
	    At the moment:  NO IDEA  :-/
	    (20 hours latter:
			Each scheduler file is kept open when it is in
			active processing, each active transporter has
			a diagnostics pipe back to the scheduler, and some
			systems have SIGNED CHARs as FD storage in FILE-
			structures..

			If transporters run with GANG-SCHEDULER, that is
			multiple files are spooled to same transporter,
			all those files must be kept open by the scheduler
			until the transporter acks them back..	)

	* scheduler/msgerror.c, scheduler/update.c,
	  transports/libta/diagnostic.c:
	    Revised report-back format, as well as error
	    reporting procedure fairly completely.

	    Now the transporters CAN report IETF-NOTARY data, and the
	    scheduler will then use it to report on the return email.
	    (Exact format evolves still, but one thing is sure:
	     it shall not contain \n's, nor \t's!)

	    Transporter main error reporter is  scheduler/msgerror.c,
	    NOT the  transports/errormsg/errormsg.c !
	    The latter can be used for some trivialities, though..
	    (How the heck it can get NOTARY data ?)

Tue Aug 23 21:52:18 1994  Matti E. Aarnio  (mea@oj287.astro.utu.fi)

	* transports/smtp/smtp.c:
	    An error in EHLO responce analysis did omit the
	    final responce line, which in one case did have
	    effect:
		250-XXXXX
		250 8BITMIME
	    Thus SMTP didn't learn that the receiver is 8-bit
	    capable..

	* transports/errormail/errormail.c:
	* scheduler/msgerror.c:
	    Skip over the Zmailer envelope lines in the original
	    email so that the file to be written out does not
	    contain anything but RFC-822 (+MIME) headers..

Wed Aug 17 14:12:06 1994  Matti E. Aarnio  (mea@oj287.astro.utu.fi)

	* utils/listexpand.c:
	    Wrote this to test how much 650 email recipients
	    will really expand the memory of the router.
	    Instead of running a built-in expansion within
	    the aliases.cf, this is to be called externally to
	    produce similar remapping and resubmitting the file
	    back to the router. (Via a trip thru scheduler, that is)
	    	    Internal expansion: 32 MB
	    	    External expansion: 3.5 MB (yes, only about 10 %!)

	* libsh/trap.c (eval):
	    Carelessnes on referring to the "savefile" buffer.
	    It can be NULL ptr under some occasions.
	    ( -> newaliases  crashed )