Re: Mail being tagged with uid

On Sat, 9 Jul 1994, Shahjehan Khatri wrote:

> We're running Zmailer (Toronto version) on SunOS 4.1.3 on a SPARCstation
> 10 (ecstest.asu.edu).
>
> There are around 40 people logged on to machine.  When some of them send
> mail (using Pine), it gets tagged as being from "uid#XXXX@ecstest.asu.edu"
> Why would that be?  Lack of system resources?
>
> What's more, mail sent to such an address is being delivered to the
> postmaster@ecstest.asu.edu , as illustrated below.
>
> Will someone please tell me what's going on?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

Postmaster will usually receive any mail failures (so that the person
responsible for maintaing mail at your site can determine any problems).

This mail message has been returned (to both the sender and postmaster),
because the destination:
	nauproj.az.us

is non-existent (bogus)
i.e.:

#> host -vt ANY nauproj.az.us.
rcode = 3 (Non-existent domain), ancount=0
Host not found, try again.

Also, noting the line:

> From: PMDF Mail Server <postmaster@asu.edu>

this message looks like it's coming from your main MX at your site
(not your zmailer machine):

>host -vt MX asu.edu.
rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=1
asu.edu 86400 IN        MX      0 POST.INRE.ASU.EDU
Additional information:
POST.INRE.ASU.EDU       86400 IN        A       129.219.13.80

Which is indeed running PMDF:

79 [11:18pm skye]:/Users/jmack>telnet POST.INRE.ASU.EDU 25
Trying 129.219.13.80...
Connected to POST.INRE.ASU.EDU.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 POST2.INRE.ASU.EDU -- Server SMTP (PMDF V4.2-13 #2382)
--

I can't determine exactly what type of host it is, but it looks
like a VAX running VMS (form the telnet prompt behavior)

Have you checked your ZMailer config to see if you are doing
host-hiding? If so, then likely bounce mail which you want to
be processed by postmaster@ecstest.asu.edu is likely being
punted to postmaster@asu.edu instead.

host also indicates that you don't have an MX for yourself,
so all mail will naturally punt to asu.edu. You may want to
have an MX record added for ecstest.asu.edu in your site's
nameserver. (at least that way, you will have a little bit more
control over how mail is handled to/from your machine):

#> host -vt MX ecstest.asu.edu.
rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=0
There is an entry for this host, but it doesn't have mail routing
information.

--
James S. MacKinnon             Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Computing/Networking           Voice : (403) 492-8226