checking for new mail

We're planing to use zmailer on our Suns running SunOS 4.1.3 and
Solaris 2.3 to deliver mail to the user's home directory (into a file
called Inbox) instead of the usual /var/spool/mail (or /var/mail).  Has
anyone else run zmailer on a UNIX machine and delivered mail to users'
home directories?  If so, I'd like to know how you have changed your
login and finger programs so that they check for new mail in the new
location.  This is what I mean:

At login time, the user is notified of new mail like so:

	You have mail

And when fingering a user, you can tell when they last read their mail:

	New mail received Mon Jun  6 10:17:46 1994;
	  unread since Mon Jun  6 04:30:47 1994

Obviously, that won't work anymore when mail is no longer delivered to
/var/spool/mail (or /var/mail).  Thanks.

        Julio Polo
        University of Hawaii Computing Center
        2565 The Mall, Keller Hall
        Honolulu, HI 96822