Re: Zmailer RFC822 parser barfs on null (<>) addresses

> Got a note from Eric Allman ponting out that one of our machines running
> ZMailer was complaining about null return addresses.  According to RFC822 and
> RFC1123 this is not optional.  I have not had a chance to look at it yet,
> and won't get a chance until after returning from USENIX.  Eric's note
> is attached below.

        Hmm.. It has Toronto edition, my newer ESMTP server accepts that
        just fine, but router complains in the processed email envelope
        (That is, RFC-821, the SMTP does accept it, but RFC-822 processing
         has a bug in it..).

> -- Dan Ehrlich
>
> To:	postmaster@guardian.cse.psu.edu
> From:	Eric Allman <eric@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
> Subject: apparent bug in your mail system
> Date:	Sat, 4 Jun 1994 10:30:30 -0400
> Sender: eric@mastodon.CS.Berkeley.EDU
>
> The error message shown below seems to indicate that your mail
> system doesn't understand the null return address.  This syntax
> is required by RFC 821 and 1123.  I suggest you forward this
> bug to your vendor as a VERY HIGH priority item.
>
> eric

	Right, use proper version :-)

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@nic.funet.fi> <mea@utu.fi>