Re: zmailer memory bloat

Two possibilities:

1. A leak in Zmailer.  I've got support for tracking leaks down in my
malloc (the one that's shipped with Zmailer); if anyone's interested,
drop me a line and I'll describe the gory details.  (I'd also prefer it
if you used a more recent version of my malloc, see
ftp.cs.toronto.edu:/pub/moraes/malloc.tar.gz)

2. My malloc tries to re-coalesce adjacent blocks on free and allocate
first-fit, a strategy that seems to be contrary to zmailer internal
allocator.  (there's a couple more layers of allocator layered on top of
malloc inside ZMailer).  The Caltech malloc (comes with 4.3BSD, Perl;
possibly rn and emacs) neither coalesces nor splits large blocks, which
results in less fragementation in certain situations.  Try recompiling
with it (or -lmalloc) and see if that helps.  If a different malloc
helps, I'd still like to get some traces from my malloc to see if I can
fix this problem without introducing others.

	Mark.