Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 00:24:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
To: "Barry Bouwsma, mere clown" <barryb@vszbr.cz>
Subject: re: Pine bug with fan mail

     Thanks for the example.

     The To: line with the address:

renegade cyclist and hacker Barry Bouwsma <barryb%CCSUN.TUKE.CS@earn.
	cvut.cz>

is invalid according to RFC 822 section 3.1.4, page 8.  In part, it reads as
follows: ``... there must be NO linear-white-space betweed <word>s that are
separated by period (".") or at-sign ("@")...''

     The line continuation is, itself, valid.  The problem is that
continuation translates into linear-white-space; that is, it forms a resulting
address of:

renegade cyclist and hacker Barry Bouwsma <barryb%CCSUN.TUKE.CS@earn. cvut.cz>

     Note the space after ``earn.''.  The truly sad part of this story is that
if it weren't for certain *other* brain-damaged mailers, Pine might have been
able to parse this correctly...  ;-(

    Okay, now that you have seen that, here is what resulted in a test
where I sent myself mail with a long name.  Here is how Pine wants to
see it (which is correct):