Long aliases break at 8192 chars

Hi (or should that be G'day)

I have created an alias for all email users within my faculty, this is
included within the aliases file. The list is simply one email address
per line and is 284 lines long or 9365 chars.

When I try to send a message to the list the list is truncated to the
first 8192 chars, the final email address used is truncated, that email
fails, the rest of the list is ignored.

Can anybody tell me,

1 - Is this an 'approved' way of running a list, Is there a better way?

2 - Is there an something I can tweak within zmailer to accomadate a
    longer list

thanks
  Gilbert

Gilbert Taylor-Wood                          gtw@arts.su.edu.AU
Network Manager
Faculty of Arts A14                          Ph  +61 2 692 4713
The University of Sydney                     Fax +61 2 692 2045
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA                    SysAdmin: The ghost in the machine