multi-levels MX

Hello,

One of my users complained about not able to sent to a particular host.
I checked around and found something interesting.
Let's say my user was trying to send to  joe@host1.domain1
Using nslookup, I found out there is no DNS A record for host1.domain1.
There is however a DNS MX record pointing to host2.domain2.
Again using nslookup, I found there is no DNS A record for host2.domain2 too !
There is however a DNS MX record (of host2.domain2) pointing to
host3.domain3.

Question 1: Is the set up for host1.domain1 valid ?

Question 2: If not, then should zmailer (or any MTA) complain ?
            In my case, I did saw zmailer/router logged

Mar 25 16:36:19 ohmg router[885]: <9303252128.AA01600@tomcat.hydro.on.ca>: file: 66566 <erone.quek@hydro.on.ca> => <joe@host1.domain1>

            But I did not see anything on the SMTP log or the postman pile.

Oh, I am running:

router: router daemon (2.1.2 #2: Thu Apr  9 11:31:11 EDT 1992)
        started at Fri, 5 Mar 1993 18:14:02 -0500

Any comment would be appreciated.

Erone Quek (Postmaster@hydro.on.ca)
Network Computing Services
Telecom Division