Does $(recipient) work correctly?

I tried using:

   if [ $(recipient) ]; then
      ... stuff ...
   fi

in "internet" in crossbar.cf, and it never seemed to
be true. Am I misunderstanding how it is used?

Also, in the dafault case, what is supposed to end up
in the .../postoffice/postman directory? I seem to have
gotten a lot of legitimate messages there.

Finally, has anyone worked on lowering scanning times for
router/scheduler so that they respond faster to messages
placed in their queues. Maybe even read a message queue or
named pipe?