Re: bug in lib/rfc822scan.c

> On Thu, 17 Dec 92 13:25:04 EST, Matti Aarnio said...
> >  This works nicely.  Also for this:
> >	To: xxx (lengthy comment
> >	    on extension as well)
>
> Really? Well, then that's the fix for my earlier complaint, I suppose
> (or am I misunderstanding?)

  You got it right, it is a good fix, altough there is this odd case of
catenating comments...  (Thus maybe I should say: "usable fix")

> >Then:
> >	To: "comments in quotes" "another" xxx
> >leads to a disaster (quotes disappear), however:
> >	To: "comments in quotes" "another" <xxx>
> >works... (it is caused by router stripping quotes to find local parts,
> >but it doesn't recognize presence of non-quoted xxx to be address..)
>
> I'm not sure, but I think a strict interpretation of 822/976 says that
> that SHOULD fail -- that the format is supposed to be
> 	Address (Comments)
> or
> 	Comments <Address>
> But not
> 	"Commments" address

  There is odd intermediate case:
	To: "comments in quotes" "another comment" xxx (more comments)
results:
	To: comments in quotes, another comment, xxx (more comments)
and only "xxx" is processed as address...

  I too think the case of     "Comments" address   is bogon.

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>